Cervical osteochondrosis is a disease in which pain occurs not only in the cervical region, but also in the head, shoulder joints, and cerebral circulation is disturbed. Contrary to the opinion that this disease is exclusive to the elderly, more and more young people are going to specialists with neck pain. This is the lifestyle that most people lead. Computer work, poor posture, slouching, uncomfortable bed - all this is due to the development of cervical osteochondrosis. Home treatment is possible at the initial stage of the disease, if you know the cause of its occurrence.
Causes and symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis.
The main reasons for the development of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine:
- Sedentary lifestyle, computer work;
- Improper metabolism;
- Accumulation of salts between the vertebrae;
- unbalanced diet;
- Cervical injuries;
- Malfunction of hormones.
Before looking for ways to cure osteochondrosis of the neck, you need to know the symptoms of pain in osteochondrosis. In order to correctly determine the symptoms, it is worth knowing that the vertebral artery, one of the largest vital vessels, passes through the cervical region. It is through him that the brain is fed with all the necessary substances. The curvature of the intervertebral discs, which at the same time causes strong pain sensations, is called osteochondrosis. At first, this disease of the joints and spine is almost impossible to detect, since this disease develops gradually, and the pain already appears at the moment when the space between the vertebrae is compressed to the point that the nerve endings of the spine are affected. . This implies a violation of cerebral circulation. Only at this time do the first symptoms appear:
- Pain first appears in the neck area;
- Often disturbed by dizziness and headaches, especially during movement;
- There is weakness in the arms and legs, the coordination of movements is disturbed;
- Also, a symptom can be ringing, tinnitus;
- sudden mood swings;
- Violation of the digestive tract and urinary processes in the body.
If you do not consult a specialist at an early stage of the development of osteochondrosis, more serious problems with the spine can occur, up to curvature.
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis
There are several ways to treat osteochondrosis of the neck. Each patient suffering from this disease will find a suitable method of pain relief, it all depends on how severe the stage of the disease is. For example, dizziness in osteochondrosis of the cervical region can be cured with compresses according to folk recipes. It is important to remember that any treatment must be carried out comprehensively.
Traditional medicine, with the correct application of recipes, can effectively relieve symptoms. To help cope with the disease, herbal teas and decoctions, the action of which is aimed at relieving inflammation, here are some of them:
- A decoction of needles. Pour boiling water over pine needles, let it stand, eat the resulting porridge twice a day or drink infusion - this will help eliminate the cause of headaches;
- Garlic and ginger compress. Mix garlic and ginger root in equal proportions, add a little butter. The resulting mixture is applied to the affected area. If ginger is only in the form of seasoning, you can add a tablespoon of powder, the effect will be the same;
- Finely grated potatoes mixed with honeyone by one, put the resulting mass on a cloth for a compress, attach it to the focus of pain and leave it overnight;
- horseradish leafsoak in boiling water, then put the plant on the neck, the water can also be used for compresses.
Also, do not forget about essential oils and herbs, which, in combination with alcohol, are excellent for heating. Within a week of home treatment, the inflammatory processes should subside, if this does not happen, you should immediately contact a specialist.
Surgery is a rather slow and complex process, so this method of treatment is used in the most extreme cases and only when other methods are not effective.
The decision on the need for an operation is made by a doctor treating osteochondrosis, a neurosurgeon. Only after the diagnosis is made, all tests and examinations are performed, as well as the patient's cerebral vessels are checked, does preparation for surgery begin. Surgery is often required when the intervertebral disc is destroyed. If possible, it is better to use other methods.
With this disease, treatment depends on its severity. The main function of the drug is an analgesic effect. It all depends on the degree of development of the disease, specialists in medical institutions prescribe certain drugs:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs that effectively fight pain and inflammation;
- Corticosteroid medications also help reduce the sensation of pain;
- Muscle relaxants are great for relieving muscle spasms;
- Anticonvulsants are taken for pain due to the development of neuroticism;
- Warming and anti-inflammatory ointments, gels.
In order not to suffer from cervical osteochondrosis and ankylosing spondylitis, it is recommended to perform the following exercises:
- Lying on the floor, put one hand on your stomach and the other on your chest, inhale and exhale slowly at least ten times. The essence of the exercise is that the body must be relaxed;
- This exercise is also done lying on the floor, but now face down. With your hands in front of you, slowly begin to lift your head, then your torso, tensing your muscles, while your hands rest on the floor. Therefore, you need to stand for a minute and a half. Run 4 approaches;
- Position: sitting on a chair, with a straight back. Tilt your head forward, trying to reach your chest with your chin. Then tilt your head as far back as possible. Repeat 15 times.
A set of exercises is performed very carefully, all movements should be smooth without sudden movements, if any exercise causes discomfort or pain, it is not necessary to continue its execution with full force.
Physiotherapy allows patients to strengthen the muscles of the neck and back, correct the position of each vertebra and work to stretch them with the help of special exercises. Working with light weights improves nerve conduction in the spinal canal. A full course of exercises allows you to recover faster.
Massage for cervical osteochondrosis
Massage is good because even with a severe stage of the disease, it can be done with gentle movements, for this you do not even have to go anywhere, you can always invite a specialist to your home. Generally, a chiropractor adheres to the following principles:
- No force is applied, the movements should be smooth and not jerky;
- The movements start from the spine;
- The massage is done only with the fingers, without pressure.
Before a massage session, the skin is lubricated with a special oil. Some experts turn to cupping, believing they improve blood circulation. Massage is prescribed both during remission and during exacerbation, as it is an excellent prophylactic. An hour of daily sessions is enough.
Treatment of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine at home.
It is impossible to completely cure osteochondrosis of the cervical spine at home on your own. You can only prevent the progression of the disease and stop pain syndromes. This is due to the fact that osteochondrosis is a chronic disease, in some cases exacerbations can occur, it is impossible to completely get rid of it. Therefore, the question of how to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home is a bit imprecise.
Therefore, it is only possible to carry out preventive measures for the recurrence of the disease. To do this, you need to exercise regularly, move more, do not sit still for a long time, use orthopedic pillows and a mattress. You should also avoid stressful situations and give up bad habits.